Losing teeth is never something we hope for. Whether from accident, decay or genetic issues, it is an unfortunate reality for many. That does not mean you have to live with it. At our office, we specialize in dental implants as an innovative, durable solution to restore your bite and get your life back to normal. The implants we provide are designed to appear highly realistic and virtually undetectable in daily life. In fact, over three million people in the U.S. have dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are, in essence, replacement teeth. Using a titanium rod implanted into your jaw, a prosthetic tooth (or crown), usually made of porcelain, is then attached. What is truly amazing about dental implants is that the titanium rod can actually fuse with bone itself for a lasting hold. Depending on your needs, we may do a single implant, an implant bridge or another type of prosthetic tooth structure. We will work with you to determine the best plan for your unique bite.
Benefits of Dental Implants in Mission Valley
- Fill unwanted gaps
- Mimic the look of natural teeth
- Restore proper bite
- Improve speech, chewing and quality of life
- Make your smile the way it was meant to be
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
With proper care and regular visits to your dentist for standard checkups and cleanings, dental implants can last for over 25 years. They are a great, worry-free way to get your bite back in top condition.
Are Dental Implants in San Diego, California, Right for Me?
For many, dental implants are the easy choice for replacing missing teeth. There are different factors that can affect candidacy, such as having sufficient bone available for placing the implant, which we will go over with you in full to ensure you choose the best possible plan. If you are interested in getting a dental implant in San Diego, California, our team is happy to help. Contact us today at 619-298-9839 to set up your first consultation and start your journey to a new smile!
- Initial Consultation: Before any procedure, you will meet with our dentists, Dr. Vaheed Bayette or Dr. Nikko Johnson, for a full consultation and examination. During this time, you can speak with us about any questions or concerns you may have. Our team strives to ease any and all fears you may have, and we are happy to talk you through each step of your procedure. Additionally, we will take any needed X-rays or molds. We will then schedule you for the first procedure.
- Implant Placement: The next appointment will be to surgically place the implant into your jawbone where your missing tooth was. Depending on the number of teeth being replaced, we may use local or general anesthesia. The recovery time for this step is usually fast and may require some over-the-counter medication. You may experience swelling and other minor annoyances common to dental procedures. We will make sure you are prepared with any aftercare as needed. Most find they can get back to work the very next day.
- Healing: After the implant is placed into your jaw, a process called osseointegration will take place. This is when the implant fuses with your bone for a strong, lasting foundation. This process may take several months. In some cases, we can place a temporary prosthetic to mask any unsightly gaps and help make your recovery easier.
- Abutment Placement: Once the bonding has taken place, we will have you come back for the next step of your implant process. During this appointment, a small connective piece, called an abutment, will be placed on the implant. This is what the implant attaches to. In some cases, this step may be done during the first procedure.
- Restoration: When the healing process is complete and your abutment is in place, we will make a new impression of your mouth so that we can get your custom tooth created. Once we have it, we will attach your new tooth to the abutment piece for a restored smile.